Last week was one of those weeks in my direct sales business when I literally was so busy I forgot to eat. I'm not kidding. One day I looked up from my computer and it was 3:00 in the afternoon. I hadn't eaten since about 5:30 in the morning, when I had about 8 ounces of a protein shake. I'd been saying for the previous four hours, "I've got to stop and eat" and then kept right on working my direct sales business, trying to keep up with the huge "to do" list I had.
Being self employed is wonderful and has lots of benefits, but what I've found is that one of the major downfalls of a direct sales business, working from home (especially for women), is forgetting to take care of ourselves. Our direct sales training teaches us that when you neglect something as basic as eating (or taking the time to actually run to the bathroom and pee), something's seriously wrong with the harmony in your life. We all know why it happens (too much to do in your direct sales business, chores that keep piling up, sick kids, etc.). The question is, what can you do about it? One thing I can tell you from experience, the demands on your time probably won't be changing any time soon. Especially with the busy season in your direct sales business just around the corner.
That means you've got to make a commitment to do a little for yourself, regardless of what you've got on your plate, at least once a week. Period. Without fail.
Here's why and this is textbook direct sales training. When you don't take care of yourself, you get grumpy (and you know as well as I do that's the nice word for it), you get overwhelmed, and you actually accomplish less. You can't make a withdrawal from an account that's already overdrawn. You simply MUST decide what you can do for yourself once in a while to make a deposit back into your emotional bank account. It doesn't have to be huge but, like I tell my direct sales training clients, shaving under your arms doesn't count either.
Me? I walk away from the computer, watch a funny show on TV, (God bless my DVR!), or go outside and prune my roses. I go to Starbucks for a rare Carmel Machiatto and wander through our lovely, small-town down town. I drop in and get a pedicure or just take 15 minutes and sit and listen to the birds. I also listen to music. That can change my mood and add to my account faster than anything else. It doesn't have to be anything huge. Just something that's all mine, and just for me.
The point is, when I actually take the time to recharge my batteries, everyone wins, again textbook direct sales training.
What are your thoughts, and what do you do for yourself, in your direct sales business, when you get overdrawn?
Julie Anne Jones is a direct sales corporate consultant, keynote speaker, and trainer, and the CEO of Julie Anne Jones, Inc. She is known for her authentic and easy-to-use scripting and specializes in specific language and tools for success in direct sales. To learn more about Julie Anne and her products and services, and to read more blog posts, visit her at www.julieannejones.com.